Follow us on 
Aqua Explorers, Inc.

The Iberia Shipwreck  New York's Wreck Valley
Historical and current New York's Shipwreck Information and images for scuba divers and fisherman.

   Iberia shipwreck historical sketchThe steel hulled freighter Iberia was built in 1881 by S & H Morton & Co. in Leith, Scotland. She was owned by the Fabre Line and displaced 1,388 gross and 943 net tons. The Iberia was 255 feet long and had a 36 foot beam.

 The Iberia, under the command of Captain Sagolis, was bound from the Persian Gulf to New York, with a cargo of 28,000 crates of dates, a few bales of hides, and coffee all consigned to Arnold & Cheney Inc. of New York. She developed engine trouble just a few miles off Long Island, New York where she lay at anchor for three weeks awaiting repairs. Once repairs were made she slowly started to make her way to New York. Meanwhile on Saturday morning, November 10, 1888, the 520 foot long Cunard luxury liner, Umbria, bound for Liverpool, encountered dense fog, as she sailed out of New York harbor. The Umbria which was under the command of Captain William McMickan was sailing with 215 first class passengers, 67 second class, and 429 steerage class passengers. Captain McMickan reduced the Umbria's speed, posted a look out and began to blow the vessel's fog horn.  According to eyewitness accounts listed in a NEW YORK TIMES article "At 1:18 PM the form of a strange steamer loomed out of the fog, lying across the Umbria's path and headed northward. The Cunarder's wheel was reversed at full speed, but not Bell recovered from the Iberia shipwreckwithstanding the precautions that had been taken on board to prevent an accident, the Umbria had headway enough to ram her sharp steel nose into the stranger's port quarter and carry away the greater part of her stern. The piece sliced off included the overhanging part or 'counter,' and measured lengthwise on top, 14 feet". "This section holding the flagstaff with colors flying, drifted away on one side of the Umbria and the bulk of the disabled steamer floated away in an opposite direction". Passengers aboard the Umbria latter noted that there was very little resistance at the time of collision and the shock was so slight that few persons aboard the Umbria were conscious of the accident at all. The NEW YORK TIMES also reported the Iberia's Captain Sagolis statements. "We were running only three knots an hour because of the fog and the noise of whistles all around. Our whistle was kept going at short intervals to warn approaching craft. When I first saw the Umbria she was alarmingly near to the Iberia. The collision seemed imminent, and my only hope was to escape a direct blow. The helm was put hard over, as it seemed that we were to be cut in two. The Iberia responded quickly and we nearly got clear of the Umbria's course. She cut through our stern with a crash and disappeared into the fog".

 Back aboard the Umbria Captain McMickan passed the word to lower a life boat and inspect for any bow damage. The result of the inspection gave his mind great relief. His steamer had only been slightly damaged, but not seriously enough to endanger any lives. Soon after the inspection the Umbria started to search for the Iberia. When the Umbria finally got within sight of the crippled Iberia, she was flying a flag of distress and had dispatched a small lifeboat. Both captains discussed the situation with Captain McMickan recommending that all crew be transferred to his vessel. Captain Sagolis refused to desert his vessel. His opinion was that, with her six watertight compartments, she could be towed into port. The two vessels laid at anchor until the next morning. Captain McMickan finally persuaded the Iberia's crew to board the Umbria before he steamed toward New York for repairs. Shortly after abandoning the Iberia a salvage crew from the pilot boat Cadwell H. Colt was put aboard. The crew of three remained aboard while the Cadell H. Colt rushed to retrieve two tug boats for the salvage operation. Latter that afternoon, Sunday November 11th, Captain Sagolis returned to the wreck sight with the tug boats but found no trace of the Iberia. The salvage crew that had remained aboard claimed that a bulkhead had collapsed and the steamer began to fill rapidly. The crew barely had enough time to escape in their long boat, before the Iberia went down.

 According to an article in HARPERS WEEKLY dated December 8, 1888, after the collision the Iberia had drifted a mile inland and now lies "on her beam ends, tilted over so far on her starboard side that the tips of her two masts are buried in the mud. The bottom is gravel, mud, and sand". The article also reports that salvage was considered and that the wreck sight had been located by two Merritt Wrecking Company tugs by towing a three and a half inch diameter cable until the wreck was snagged.

  Today, the Iberia sits in 60 feet of water, about 3 miles offshore and mid way between Debs and Jones Inlets, Long Island, New York, in an area known as Wreck Valley. After spending 93 years in her final resting place on the ocean's floor her bulkheads and sides have broken down, a testament to the destructive power of the sea, leaving only low lying ribs and wreckage scattered on the sandy bottom. Her bow section, boilers, engine and steel propeller are all easily recognizable. Divers can still locate the remains of wood crates that once contained her cargo or simply enjoy exploring the wreck, spear fishing or lobstering. To the best of my knowledge, no one has ever located the missing stern overhang section, but her main wreckage lies midway between Jones and Debs Inlets about three miles offshore. Visibility on the wreck ranges from 0 to 50 feet, with the norm around ten feet. It all depends on wind, weather and sea conditions. The dive season in New York ranges from early May through to November. Most divers wear full 1/4 inch wet suits with a hood and gloves. Others choose to extend the season and stay a little more comfortable by utilizing dry suits. The Iberia is a large broken up wreck and navigation can be a little tricky. I recommend staying close to the anchor line or using a tether line until divers have familiarized themselves with landmarks on the wreck.

 A few years back, Captain Frank Persico of the charter dive boat Sea Hawk, recovered a bronze capstan cover from the Iberia. What made this artifact of particular interest to me was knowing that it was found in the open within plain sight and that literally thousands of sport divers had to have passed right over it before Frank's trained eyes recognized this prized artifact. Other interesting artifact recoveries in recent years include a few portholes and a project that took me a little longer than expected. As noted above divers digging in the cargo area can find the remains of wooden crates. The ends of these crates still have the painted stencil " Arnold Chenney Company, Golden Dates, 159 Water St, NY, NY". The crate ends have always made a nice artifact and are on display in many local divers homes as well as in some museums. What I wanted was to reconstruct an entire crate. This turned out to be fairly easy and after only one dive, Rick Schwarz, Steve Jonassen and I had recovered enough material to build a half dozen crates. Capt. Ed Slater with dek prism recovered from the Iberia Shipwreck.Each piece of wood was carefully cleaned, preserved then dried out before reconstructing. The next step was to fill one of the crates with actual petrified dates from the wreck sight, before donating the crate to the Fort Scyler Shipwreck museum. This was easier said than done. Rick, Steve and I spent about five dives trying to scoop as many of the mud and sand buried soggy dates into a mesh bag and ended up filling only two inches of one crate. After the fifth dive feeling quite defeated I decided it would be a lot easier to build a raised false bottom in the reconstructed crate, to create the illusion of being full.

Iberia's Missing Stern Section Located!!

 For information on diving the wreck of the freight steam Iberia contact the Eastern Dive Boat Association,

The Custom Pen (image below) was made from preserved wood recovered from the Iberia Wreck. These limited Edition pens are available from Ron at the Wood Write Shop. Each pen is detailed with 24 K gold  and comes with a certificate of authenticity. For availability Contact Ron direct.



In 2014 Capt. Dan Berg recovered the Builders Plaque from the Iberia shipwreck. The plaque had been buried behind her engine and under hull plates and debris.

Iberia Shipwreck in a bottle (see how it was built)


Iberia Shipwreck. Courtesy Wreck Valley Collection

Frank Liter with the bell from the Iberia. Courtesy Capt. Dan Berg/Wreck Valley Collection.

Dan Berg with dates and cargo box from the Iberia wreck

Diver Steve Jonassen. Courtesy Capt. Dan Berg/Wreck Valley Collection.

Frank Liter with a porthole from the Iberia. Courtesy Capt. Dan Berg/Wreck Valley Collection.

Telegraph from the iberai. Courtesy Frank Liter

Courtesy Capt. Dan Berg/Wreck Valley Collection.

Capt. Frank Persico with capstain cover from the Iberia. Courtesy Capt. Dan Berg/Wreck Valley Collection.

Painting courtesy Frank Liter

Courtesy Capt. Dan Berg/Wreck Valley Collection.

Capt. John Lachenmayer with artifacts from the Iberia. Courtesy Capt. Dan Berg/Wreck Valley Collection.

Underwater sketch of the Iberia wreck. Courtesy Capt. Dan Berg/Wreck Valley Collection.

Side Scan sonar image of the Iberia Shipwreck. Courtesy Capt. Dan Berg/Wreck Valley Collection.

Capt. Ed Slater with a anchor from the Iberia.






Shipwreck Expo Free Newsletter
Sign up for our free e-mail shipwreck, diving and Treasure Hunting newsletter. Capt. Dan Berg has designed this e-mail service for all wreck divers, maritime historians and treasure hunters.

Subscribe Now


Follow us on 
 Wreck Valley Charters