The Glen Island Shipwreck
New York and New England's Wreck Valley
Historical and current New York and New England Shipwreck Information and images for scuba
divers and fisherman.
The Steamboat Glen Island was built in 1880 in Philadelphia. She was
owned by J.H Starin was 238feet long, had a 35.8 foot beam and
displaced 328 tons. She was originally named the William C Eggerton
renamed the City Of Richmond and then finally renamed Glen Island.
On December 17th 1904the Glen Island was carrying passengers on its
normal excursion route to Glen Island. Just after midnight a fire
started below decks. Within five short minutes nine persons had
burned to death. Captain Mac Allister ordered the lifeboats launched
"Women and children first" The crew made a line and were handing
down a small girl when a terror stricken man rushed up and tried to
get down first. One of the crew struck him in the face so hard that
it sent him reeling backward. By the time all were boarded in the
two boat the Glen Island was completely ablaze. Survivors were
picked up shortly by the tug boat Bully.
The wreck now sits in15 to 25 feet of water just off Mantinecock
Point, only 100 yards from shore. Divers will recognize the partial
remains of one paddle wheel as well as low lying wooden ribs.
Expo Free Newsletter
Sign up for our free e-mail shipwreck, diving and Treasure
Hunting newsletter. Capt. Dan Berg has designed this e-mail
service for all wreck divers, maritime historians and