The Right Arm Shipwreck
New York and New Jersey's (Wreck Valley)
Historical and current New York and New Jersey Shipwreck Information and images for scuba
divers and fisherman.
The steam powered tugboat Right Arm was built by Peter Mc Gishan in
1891 in New York. She was 124feet long had a 27 foot beam and
displaced 410 gross tons. The Right Arm was commissioned into
service as the USS Pontiac in 1898. In 1918 she had her name change
again this time to USS Passaic. In 1922 the tug was decommissioned
and sold to John Kantzler & Sons and re-named Right Arm.
On April 22, 1923 the tug ran aground near Absecon Inlet, NJ. The
old tug quickly gave in to the constant pounding of the surf and
broke into pieces. Today the wreck is scattered and low lying in
approximately 25 feet of water. Her exact location is not known.
Expo Free Newsletter
Sign up for our free e-mail shipwreck, diving and Treasure
Hunting newsletter. Capt. Dan Berg has designed this e-mail
service for all wreck divers, maritime historians and